- Multiple user support in tvOS. This will be wonderful for keeping the kids stuff separate from my wife and mine.
- New Apple Watch faces — meh, they look OK at best.
- Voice Memos and Calculator.
- Ability for developers to create independent apps that do not require an iPhone.
- Can stream audio directly to the watch.
- App Store for Apple Watch. Can purchase and install apps right from the Watch.
- Noise app will take samples of noise around you to alert you of harmful noise levels.
- Cycle tracking to track a woman’s menstrual cycle.
- FaceID unlocks 30% faster 👏
- Apps launch up to 2x faster
- Dark Mode! Seems like a bunch of system apps support it (Music, Messages, Notes, News, Calendar, even the system keyboard with the ability to swipe across keys).
- Mail gets desktop class features. About blessed time!
- Reminders gets rewritten from the ground up. Natural language processing for task entry.
- Adding TONS of new mapping data to Maps to the US by the end of 2019.
- Sign in with Apple. Fast, easy sign in with your Apple ID. When an app or service wants to collect your email address, Apple will automatically generate a random and secure email address and forward it to your Apple ID address. Whoa. 😲👏
- eero is getting HomeKit support on their routers! 🙌
- Photo editing effects like saturation, contrast, shadows, etc, including the ability to edit (and rotate) video!
- AirPods can announce incoming messages automatically.
- Audio Handoff on HomePod. Cool!
- HomePod gets VoiceID for multiple users.
- New OS dedicated to iPad —- iPadOS
- Improvements to iPad gestures, including slide-over, and Split view.
- New Spaces view and app exposé for multiple windows of the same app.
- USB drive and SD card support!
- Safari gets desktop browser mode and a download manager.
- New gestures to cut, copy, paste, undo.
- NEW MAC PRO!
- It’s a BEAST!
- All-new 32-inch 6K Retina display, called Pro Display XDR.
- Price of the base model starts at $5,999. Available this Fall.
- Pro Display XDR is $4,999 also available this Fall.
- iTunes on macOS is now 3 apps —- Apple Music, Apple Podcasts, and Apple TV. Can still sync an iPhone or iPad via Finder.
- Sidecar feature allows you to use an iPad as a secondary display to your Mac (on apps that support a tablet).
- New Find My app that replaces Find my iPhone.
- Screen Time is coming to macOS Catalina.
- Marzipan is now officially Project Catalyst.
Overall Keynote Impressions
- A lot of diversity in the presenter today, including people of color and a woman in a wheelchair. Kudos to that!
- It’s incredible the quality of accessibility features that continue to thrive across all of Apple’s devices and platforms.
- This keynote is super exciting.
- A little unnerving to hear the CEO of the most profitable company on the planet admit his employees have spent long hours at night and on weekends working on all these updates. That doesn’t seem like a healthy work-life balance 👎
A few terrific podcasts breaking down the Apple keynote:
– Upgrade 248: Seven Layer Burrito of Innovation — Upgrade https://overcast.fm/+Fcm8rVXa0
– 329: Mac Pro Day — Accidental Tech Podcast https://overcast.fm/+R7DWGGoNI
– Mac Power Users 485: WWDC and Interview with the Mac Pro Product Manager — Mac Power Users https:/overcast.fm/+FrCGusXrQ
– Connected 246: The Ultimate Dark Mode is a Crash — Connected https://overcast.fm/+FXx4xqI14
– 254: Live From WWDC 2019 With Craig Federighi and Greg Joswiak — The Talk Show With John Gruber https://overcast.fm/+B7NDnolfA