Since about 2005, I’ve been using an Apple AirPort Extreme for my home Wi-Fi router. For me, it was the best, most reliable, and low maintenance router on the market, even though it was far from the cheapest. Until recently, I was using Apple’s “new” 802.11ac AirPort Extreme and it has served me well in the 3+ years I’ve had it. It provided seemingly pretty good Wi-Fi coverage of my 4 bedroom house but there were a few areas where the signal just wasn’t reaching very well.
Ever since eero came on the market, the promise of uniform blanket Wi-Fi coverage really appealed to me but I couldn’t justify the cost. Over the holidays, eero had a promotion for $50 off the eero and two eero Beacons and I finally pulled the trigger. As advertised, the setup was silly easy and I gotta say, the uniform Wi-Fi coverage is the real deal.
Prior to setting it up, I decided to do some Wi-Fi speed tests in various places around my house using the AirPort Extreme. Then I did the same speed test after eero and the two eero Beacons were set up and in place.
The results were staggering (see below). Or view the spreadsheet of the same data.
AirPort Extreme (Mbps)
- Upstairs Master Bedroom: 58.2 Mbps down, 36.8 up
- Upstairs Guest Bedroom: 5.2 down, 11.7 up
- Kitchen: 10.0 down, 25.8 up
- Family Room: 57.8 down, 37.0 up
- Dining Room: 15.7 down, 19.9 up
- Garage: 5.5 down, 12.7 up
- Basement: 9.9 down, 37.5 up
- Upstairs Master Bedroom: 58.6 down, 36.6 up
- Upstairs Guest Bedroom: 58.4 down, 37.3 up
- Kitchen: 58.3 down, 37.2 up
- Family Room: 58.6 down, 36.8 up
- Dining Room: 58.0 down, 37.4 up
- Garage: 30.9 down, 7.28 up
- Basement: 54.9 down, 11.2 up
For the speed tests, I used Google’s speed test in mobile Safari on iPhone X¹.
I couldn’t be happier with my eero purchase². It was worth every penny and now I have significant Wi-Fi speed improvements in virtually every room in my house.
- I realize there are more scientific ways of testing Wi-Fi speed and coverage but this was a simple way to get the job done.
- I’m not affiliated with eero in any way.